Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] custom plugin dll - can it be dropped intoanother WS install

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 21:36:50 -0500
What version of MSVC are you using?  I'm guessing you're not using
VS2008.

Here's the way I understand things: If you are using VS2008 then you
should be able to deliver your plugin to someone else running any
"off-the-shelf" version of Wireshark 1.0.3 or later (since I believe
that's when Gerald switched to VS2008 (ref:
http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/200808/msg00023.html), and
your plugin should work fine; however if you are using a compiler other
than VS2008, then it won't work, in which case, as far as I know, you
have 2 options:

1) Compile your plugin with VS2008.
2) Compile and distribute your own version of the Wireshark installer
with whatever version of the compiler you're using now.  (This is what I
do.)

- Chris

$(INSTALLDIR)\plugins\1.0.4
> directory?  Because I tested that on my own system and it causes a
> couple errors at startup, although WS will run I click through the
> errors.
> If it is possible what are the steps I need to take to get the dll to
> work this way?
>
> Attached jpgs show the errors.
>
> Thanks Chris for your prompt reply to my earlier installer question.
>

> Dave

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this email are confidential
and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient. If you receive this
email in error, please delete it from your system immediately and
notify us either by email, telephone or fax. You should not copy,
forward, or otherwise disclose the content of the email.