Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] proto tree

From: "Gilbert Ramirez" <gram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 07:15:55 +0530
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 7:10 AM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> what is the use of defining proto_tree and proto_item differently?
>
> I'm not sure what the rationale was for that.  Gilbert?

That's for a very ancient historical reason. The original release of
Ethereal used GtkTree and GtkTreeItem objects (I don't remember the
exact name, but something like that). The decode info was written
directly to the GUI widgets. When I add the proto_tree layer on top of
the GUI widgets, I mimicked the widget classes "just in case".  Not a
very good reason, but historical.

--gilbert