Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] BIG problem.

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 13:08:25 -0400 (EDT)
At Sun,  9 Mar 2008 16:08:20 -0400 (EDT), you wrote
>Windows XP SP2
>Wireshark last version 0.99.8, GTK+ 2.12.8
>
>When I open the Start capture dialog (where you set the adapter, etc,
>NOT WHEN I START CAPTURE), my internet crashes. Nothing works from that
>moment on. Nor HTTP, nor mail, nothing. BUT, what was already started
>(Example a download, a winamp online stream) continues to work, without
>problem. Any new connection is NOT fullfilled.
>
>What happens?

I don't know.

1. Please provide the complete output of a 'wireshark -v'.

2. What kind of adapter(s) are you using ?

3. Are you using any firewall or other software on your PC which might
   somehow be interacting with your network stack.

4. What happens if you actually start a capture.
   Do you see the traffic "from what was already started" ??

5. Please configure wireshark to open a console window, restart wireshark
   and let us know if any error messages appear in this window
   when you open the 'start capture' dialog window (and when you
   start a capture).

   Edit ! Preferences ! User Interface ! Open a Console Window ! Always