Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Register dissector to MAC address

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:37:10 -0500
As far as I know, it's not possible to do currently.  I ran into a similar problem with the recently added "Wake On LAN" dissector.  WOL isn't specific to any Ethertype, but since ether-wake uses Ethertype 0x0842, I registered that.

What I think is really needed, in both cases, is to be able to register as a heuristic dissector.  That way, once handoff to your dissector is made, you can determine via whatever means necessary if the packet is actually for you or not.  If it is, process it as appropriate and return TRUE; if not, return FALSE.  I don't really know if packet-eth.c would lend itself well to supporting heuristic dissectors or not though.

Can anyone think of a reason NOT to add heuristic dissection support to packet-eth.c?  Or does anyone have a better/alternate way to solve this?

- Chris