Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] tshark: drop features "dump to stdout" and"read filter" - co

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 00:01:04 -0400
FYI: I was able to test this on a Windows PC, but it doesn't appear to be working.  I could be doing something wrong since I hardly ever use tshark, but I compared the output of a 0.99.6-tshark with the output of an SVN-23125-tshark with the following command line:

tshark.exe -p -i 4 -f icmp -c 10 -x -w -

While pinging my router, the 0.99.6 version produces this output:

No log handling enabled - turning on stderr logging
Capturing on Wireless PC Card Model 0111 (Microsoft's Packet Scheduler)
1 ???í? ?             ?   åK?G|A? J   J    ?%ÑT? ???? E  <?b  Ç??ª?¿pf?¿p F[? ??
2 åK?G?K? J   J    ????0 ?%ÑT E  <?b  û??ª?¿p??¿pf  N[? ??abcdefghijklmnopqrstuv
3 çK?G£H? J   J    ?%ÑT? ???? E  <?c  Ç??Ñ?¿pf?¿p E[? ??abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwa
4 çK?G?U? J   J    ????0 ?%ÑT E  <?c  û??Ñ?¿p??¿pf  M[? ??abcdefghijklmnopqrstuv
5 êK?GcS? J   J    ?%ÑT? ???? E  <?d  Ç??ñ?¿pf?¿p D[? ??abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwa
6 êK?G?_? J   J    ????0 ?%ÑT E  <?d  û??ñ?¿p??¿pf  L[? ??abcdefghijklmnopqrstuv
7 ëK?G?Q? J   J    ?%ÑT? ???? E  <?e  Ç??ú?¿pf?¿p C[? ?abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwab
8 ëK?G3]? J   J    ????0 ?%ÑT E  <?e  û??ú?¿p??¿pf  K[? ?abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvw
9 èK?GdV? J   J    ?%ÑT? ???? E  <?f  Ç??ó?¿pf?¿p B[??abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwabc
10 èK?G?a? J   J    ????0 ?%ÑT E  <?f  û??ó?¿p??¿pf  J[?abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwa
bcdefghi

.... whereas the SVN-23125-tshark produces only this output:
Capturing on Wireless PC Card Model 0111 (Microsoft's Packet Scheduler)
10

(NOTE that where "10" is displayed above, what is actually displayed is a counter, counting up from 1 until the limit of 10 packets is reached.  That's just the last thing that's displayed when the program terminates.)

I assume this is relevant, "No log handling enabled - turning on stderr logging"?  Or am I just doing something wrong?  If so, let me know the exact command-line options I should be using when testing this.

- Chris