Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Problems with text2pcap on windows

From: "Varuna De Silva" <varunax@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 18:01:43 +0530
Hi,

I have a problem with running text2pcap on windows, when I try to run it, it
truncates in 16 bytes. For example in the following part of script i tried to convert
a file isup.txt to a pcap format with a pseudo SCTP header the file is larger than
16 bytes (36 bytes) but it truncates at 16 bytes.This file contains a SS7 frame
without frame delimiters.

C:\Program Files\Wireshark>text2pcap  -s1234,4321,23 isup.txt isup.pcap
Input from: isup.txt
Output to: isup.pcap
Generate dummy Ethernet header: Protocol: 0x800
Generate dummy IP header: Protocol: 132
Generate dummy SCTP header: Source port: 1234. Dest port: 4321. Tag: 23
Wrote packet of 16 bytes at 0
Read 1 potential packets, wrote 1 packets

I tried to increase the maximum packet size with -ml but still it worked in a bit different way.
It has written 16 packets of 1 byte each

C:\Program Files\Wireshark>text2pcap -ml200 isup.txt isuppcp.pcap
Input from: isup.txt
Output to: isuppcp.pcap
Wrote packet of 1 bytes at 0
Wrote packet of 1 bytes at 1
Wrote packet of 1 bytes at 2
Wrote packet of 1 bytes at 3
Wrote packet of 1 bytes at 4
Wrote packet of 1 bytes at 5
Wrote packet of 1 bytes at 6
Wrote packet of 1 bytes at 7
Wrote packet of 1 bytes at 8
Wrote packet of 1 bytes at 9
Wrote packet of 1 bytes at 10
Wrote packet of 1 bytes at 11
Wrote packet of 1 bytes at 12
Wrote packet of 1 bytes at 13
Wrote packet of 1 bytes at 14
Wrote packet of 1 bytes at 15
Read 17 potential packets, wrote 16 packets

Please help me regarding this. A similar post is there in the archives but
unfortunately I cant see any reply to it.

What I am trying to do is to get my SS7 frame which is in text to be
decoded by WireShark. For this I put it inside a SCTP frame and try to
decode the contents of its body. Is it possible to do it? Just instruct me
If I am going in a wrong path.

Rgds

Xavier