Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Improve Tcap session management

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 15:26:56 -0400

Wow, that was fast, thanks!

By the way, why not rename these functions with "ANSI" and "ITU" in the name?

+/*
+ * Call ITU Subdissector to decode the Tcap Component
+ */
 static int
 dissect_tcap_TheComponent(gboolean implicit_tag _U_, tvbuff_t *tvb, int offset, asn1_>

[...]

+/*
+ * Call ANSI Subdissector to decode the Tcap Component
+ */
+static int
+dissect_tcap_TheComponentPDU(gboolean implicit_tag _U_, tvbuff_t *tvb, int offset, as>

(maybe there's a good reason they're named that way, but...)

Also, while I was testing the patch on an ANSI TCAP capture I had handy, I noticed that if I use a read filter ("wireshark -r /some/file -Rsccp" for example), none of the TCAP statistics stuff works--I get a bunch of noise about sessions starting in frame 0 and the responses don't get matched to the queries. Maybe there's some code in there that assumes that frame numbers are continuous (e.g., frame 3 follows frame 2) which may not be the case if you have a read filter? If you don't have any immediate ideas, maybe I'll file a bug report so we don't forget.

One other thing that I've read before:

http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.py?view=rev&revision=20758

is that the g_hash's should be replaced with se_tree's (see README.binarytrees). Something to think about going forward.

Anyway, checked in rev 22415, merci!

Florent Drouin wrote:
   Hi,

Here is the updated patch.

Regards
Florent

Jeff Morriss wrote:
Florent Drouin wrote:
   Hi,

Could you apply this patch to improve the Tcap session management,
and create the missing version tag in epan/tcap-persistentdata.c and epan/tcap-persistentdata.h ?

Unfortunately a couple changes squeezed into tcap.cnf since you submitted this patch (one from me, even) and that part of the patch doesn't apply cleanly any more. I may try to manually merge it but I'm not sure I'll get it right. Could you update yours?