Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] A very pragmatic approach to fix remaining MSVC warnings ...

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 04:28:35 +0200
Hi List!

As I've got no response to my previous approach to fix the warnings of the generated source files in "epan/dissectors" I had to look for a more "pragmatic" approach.

There are already changes rushing in, that are adding new warnings, so I've thought it was time to fix this hole by setting the "warnings as errors" plug in epan/dissectors..

My way was adding "#pragma warning(disable:xy)" to the corresponding places.

I know that's not the best approach, but I was trying to avoid what was happening the last time I tried reducing warnings, namely that more warnings were rushing in than core developers are willing to fix.

Having the (Win32) buildbot turning red for a single warning *might* be a motivation to keep the code warning free.

As I would like to remove any warning I introduced, I just didn't noticed the gcc warning I've caused - having the buildbot turned red for the "gcc side", would motivated me to fix "my warnings" ...

Regards, ULFL

P.S. As a drawback, checking in the generated files (recently changed) will probably make the buildbot turn red, we'll need to find a solution for this ...