Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Opinions on solving bug #1375: Capture Options with many IP

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:52:52 +0800

Guy Harris wrote:
Is there any reason why people care about the list of IP addresses other than "I'm on a multi-homed machine, and I want to capture traffic to and from machine YYY, so I need to know what the IP addresses are for the interfaces, so I can figure out which interface I need to capture on"?

Well, at least on my Windows PC, I like to see the IP address so I can know which of the extremely obscure names Windows gives to the interfaces is the one that's plugged in and in use.

On the typical multi-homed Unix boxes I use I like to see the IP addresses so I remember which network the interface is connected to. I'm not so worried about the host I want to capture to/from (which typically is available via multiple network paths anyway) but the network.