Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Problem loading custom DLL with standard Wireshark distribut

From: "Chris Delaney" <csdelane@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 22:55:28 -0600
Yes and no. It should be possible (we use the GTK dlls that are compiled
with MSVC6 with the MSVC2005EE studio builds - so mixing Dlls is
possible), but you have to be very careful about passing C runtime
resources (e.g. FILE handles) between these two, but that's usually not
a problem for a typical dissector. But this will make problems while
running WS, not while loading it (as you have).

I'm unsure what the real problem is here. In an attempt to find the
cause you may try to strip down the plugin content to an absolute
minimum content (e.g. #if 0 out all "functional" parts) and see if this
fixes your problem - in this case a call within your dissector code is
the problem..

The only solution that should work is to use the MSVC2005EE generated
Wireshark instead of the official one.

Regards, ULFL

Ulf,

Thank you very much (again) for the response. I wasn't able to get at the root cause of the issue, but because my .dll's (and subsequent .dlls I built) work just fine with the wireshark version I compiled, I decided to simply install my version rather than the official distribution. A minor inconvenience at worst. If this becomes an issue in the future, I'll dig further, but for now this solution will work fine.

Thank you again for your assistance,

Chris

Invite your Hotmail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live Spaces http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us