Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Microsoft Visual C Version 6 support is a bitoutdated ...

From: "Gianluca Varenni" <gianluca.varenni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 05:31:57 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Guy Harris" <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Developer support list for Wireshark" <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 2:36 AM
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Microsoft Visual C Version 6 support is a bitoutdated ...

However, I seem to remember the WinPcap developers saying that passing
FILE *'s and even "file descriptors" (as returned by _open(), _fdopen(),
etc.) across binary boundaries is problematic as well.

Yes. It's the same as malloc/free. You need to use the various FILE functions (fopen and such) coming from the CRT. Or better, if you obtain a FILE pointer from a CRT X, you need to use to call the FILE functions coming from that specific CRT X on *that* FILE pointer. I'm not sure about file descriptors (_open), but I think it's the same. I'd check on the MSDN docs to be sure.

Have a nice day
GV