Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] gtk error in open/save dialogue causes abort

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:26:52 +0200
Jeremy Richemont wrote:

> Hi. On versions 10.10 and 10.11 when I try to save a capture or open
> one I get the following gtk error:
>
> Gtk-ERROR ** file gtkfilesystemwin32.c: line 557
> (gtk_file_system_win32_volume_render_icon): should never be reached,
> aborting...
>
> This does not happen of ver 10.0 or earlier.

Earlier Ethereal versions used an earlier version of GTK, which doesn't
had this problem at all (however, this bug is Win32 only).

> It also doesn't happen on a collegue's machine so there is something
> different (wrong) about the environment on mine. We both use XP pro
> SP2 on intel but I have two monitors attached to an ATI 9600 card
> whereas he uses the intel onboard graphics.

This bug is due to some special (uncommon?) drive type you have on your
machine. GTK 2.4.x tries to determine the corresponding icon to display
the drive type. Unfortunately there's a bug in this function, as not all
possible types are handled correct (the default case is an
assert_not_reached), causing the assert you mention.

Had a short look at the GTK 2.6.7 sources, where this bug is already
fixed :-) However, as the 2.6.x version is marked as "not ready for
production code", we will still use the GTK2.4.x version including this
bug :-(

> This happens when the open or save icons are pressed or the equivalent
> menu options are selected.

Yes

> Any ideas on what to look at would be gratefully recieved!

A workaround is to install the "old style" GTK1.x GUI, which don't use
the code mentioned. Or you may think about the drives you have installed
for some "special cases" to solve it for now.

> I have tried completely uninstalling, rebooting and re-installing but
> no good. I am using winpcap v 3.1 beta.

This won't help for the reasons above.

Regards, ULFL