Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] RDP Client

From: Hansang Bae <hbae@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:21:12 -0400
On 10:09 AM 6/16/2005, Nush Ahmed wrote:
>I have a problem which is getting very tricky! I am trying to capture data being sent over an RDP client. For example, when I perform an action on my app using RDP I want to know when the data packet was and when the bitmap image is returned to screen. I can capture packets going to from the machines, however I can't get the data in the packets into a human recogniseable form. Also the bitmap which is sent back may be split into a number of packets.

As far as I know, this is not possible because everything is being tunneled inside the RDP.  One possible work around would be to send ping packets in between actions *outside* of the rdp session.  So if you have a PC hitting a terminal server, use RDP to do your actions.  Then after each action, ping from your PC to the terminal server - these will act as markers.

But if you need fine granularity, this won't work.

hsb