Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Traces left by Ethereal?

From: ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:53:20 +1000
No,
ethereal will not send any traffic   unless you use name resolution
where ethereal might start talking to the dns server.

however  ethereal will by default set the interface to promisc mode
which is something that can be detected by other hosts on the same
network,   if they run software to actively probe for NICs that are in
promisc mode.

it is semitrivial to modify a nic to become receive only so that it
will be impossible to detect as being in promisc mode.