Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Can't capture packets

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 20:07:38 +0200
Kitten Loveland wrote:

> I had a similar error to this in the Win 0.10.11 binary: ** ERROR **:
> file capture.c: line 89: assertion failed: (capture_opts->state ==
> CAPTURE_STOPPED) aborting...
>
> To replicate install with GTK 2 type and GTK-Wimp option (don't know
> if this matters), installed to D:\Program Files\Ethereal, Exec
> program, Capture->Interfaces, WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface [this is a
> RASPPPOE ras device]->Prepare, check the 'Update list of packets in
> real time' checkbox, Capture, Capture...
>
> The main GUI crashes at this point with above error but the capture
> dialog starts and the ethereal.exe stays resident.
>
> I am running on a pentium pro with wincap 3.1 beta 3.
>
> Hope this helps.  There is another report of the MacOS error here:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.apple.fink.core/741

There are some bugs in the capture engine in 0.10.11 which I've already
fixed since then.

You may try the buildbot builds
http://www.ethereal.com/distribution/buildbot-builds/, as the bug should
be fixed there.

If you find those bug remaining even in the buildbot builds, please let
us know.

Sorry for any inconvenience,

Regards, ULFL