Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Promiscuous mode and Windows XP personal firewalls

From: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:24:19 -0700
Greetings again. Has anyone done much testing with Ethereal running on Windows XP that is running a "personal firewall" like the one that comes with XP, or some of the commercial ones. What I'm wondering is how promiscuous mode affects the packets seen. For example, if I'm in promiscuous mode and the firewall is blocking all incoming packets on TCP port 1234, will Ethereal see them? I also want to know the flip side: if I have disabled promiscuous mode, will I see those packets anyway?

It would be interesting (maybe even fascinating) if different personal firewalls acted differently.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium