Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Repeated question

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 22:37:28 -0700
GRL wrote:
I know I already made this question and I had an answer. So I apologize because I insist, but I'm not able yet to understand why it's not possible to set a filter for a specific word (or a sequence of characters, if you prefer).

By "for a specific word", do you mean "for a specific word, or sequence of characters, anywhere in the packet"?

If so, it *is* possible to have a display filter for that, in newer versions of Ethereal:

	frame contains "string"

would match all packets containing the ASCII string "string".

It's not possible with capture filters, because the capture filter mechanism was designed around the notion of "programs" in a pseudo-machine language that would test parts of the packet and return a success or failure indication; the intent was that those programs be "safe", as they could be supplied to the kernel so that a packet that a capturing program wasn't interested in could be discarded *before* CPU time was spent copying it to the user-mode code, and the way that made sure that they were "safe" included not allowing infinite loops - they accomplished this by not allowing loops at all.

Perhaps they could've done things differently, but they didn't. Ethereal is intended to run atop systems *WITHOUT* having to modify the kernel (requiring kernel modifications would make it much less usable), so it inherits all the limitations of the underlying packet capture mechanism.