Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] newbie Help

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 12:24:23 -0700
Ulf Lamping wrote:

if it *is* zero than it's only
value is "captured all packets" OR "the hardware simply doesn't detect
such things"

...OR "the OS's packet capture mechanism drops packets if the application isn't reading packets fast enough so that packets arrive faster than the application consumes them, and the packet capture mechanism's internal buffer fills up, *BUT* that packet capture mechanism doesn't count the number of packets dropped if that happens, so that libpcap can't report that value to the application". That's the case on some OSes, such as those with older Linux kernels.