Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal 10.0 download size

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 17:23:00 -0700
Gerald Combs wrote:
Bill Hecox wrote:

I just downloaded 10.10 version for windows. I noticed the file size is
considerably smaller then previous versions. Have some features
been removed?

Prior to the 0.10.4 release, all of the dissector code in Ethereal and
Tethereal was statically linked to each executable.  The 0.10.4 and
later installers uses a shared DLL for dissection (except for 0.10.5 --
it was inadvertently built statically).  Since the dissectors make up
the vast majority of Ethereal, the installer size shrunk considerably.
At around the same time the version of NSIS used for packaging was
upgraded to 2.0, which uses a better compression algorithm.

Yes. The big size reduction was in 0.10.4, not in 0.10.10 - 0.10.10 is about .4MB larger than 0.10.9:

	http://www.ethereal.com/distribution/win32/all-versions/

so 0.10.10 isn't considerably smaller than *all* previous versions, it's just considerably smaller than pre-0.10.4 versions (as are 0.10.4, 0.10.5a, 0.10.6, 0.10.7, 0.10.8, and 0.10.9 - but not 0.10.5, because that was, as noted, built statically; I assume 0.10.5a is the fixed version, built dynamically).