Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] newbie question (how ethereal captures packe ts?)

From: "Francisco Alcoba (TS/EEM)" <francisco.alcoba@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 09:17:58 +0200
Hi,

>           I just joined this list. I use Ethereal and
> found that for each captured packet ethereal displays
> not only its detail info but HEX dump at bottom.
>           I also want to study how it works and how
> can i add new protocol to it. What i first want to
> know is that which function in ethreal source code
> display that hex info? How ethereal captures packets?
>
> regards,
> linux_lover.

The best place to begin is probably the wiki development page, at

 http://wiki.ethereal.com/Development

which has links to the development page at www.ethereal.com, to
the README.developer and to the Developers Guide. These should help
you have an idea on how it works in general.

If you want to ask questions on how the code works, there is a
developer list you can also subscribe to.

Regards,

 Francisco