Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Decode problems

From: "Lan Hai" <kinghighland@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 12:13:49 +0000
Hi dear developers,

I've encountered some problems while using Ethereal to decode GRE and LCP packets. I know the v0.10.4 supports LCP decoding but it doesn't work when I try to decode the attached cap (normal.cap, captured while using handset to connect to cdma1x network).
The attached JPG (Ethereal-0.10.4-GRE-unknown.JPG) is the reference.

I was told the old version v0.9.7 can decode it and given a copy.
Yes it works and the attached JPG (Ethereal-0.9.7-GRE-PPP-LCP.JPG) is the reference. But there is still some issues, the values given in protocol tree can't be mapped to the Hex values in the below window (not all values, only of PPP/LCP). I download another copy of v0.9.7 from www.ethereal.com site, it doesn't work either. I guess the previous 0.9.7 is modified by someone. It is not a correct implementation because I found it caused some decoding error (pls refer to Ethereal-0.10.4-GRE.JPG and Ethereal-0.9.7-GRE.JPG), the same Hex values was decoded as different results.

If you need the "modified" 0.9.7 please drop me a mail, it's really a big file for mail attachment (~8MB).

I am confused why 0.10.4 can't decode LCP in the attached cap.
Could you please take a look at this cap.

Thanks a lot!
Hubert Lam