Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] corporate analyze

From: mark <mark@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 17:53:11 -0700
We currently use VNC to do remote analasys.  It is cross platform, allows
passworded access, can be viewed by several stations at once, and saves
having to transfer the entire captured data file accross the network
connection.  Another possibility would be to use linux at each remote, and
use Xwindows to produce a "remote display" of a locally running process on a
datacenter workstation.

All of the other options we have looked at require signifficant bandwidth (NFS
mounts, ip-next-hop redirects) and have the side effect of doubling monitored
data in most cases.

--
Mark Grigsby
Network Operations Manager