Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] License issues

From: "David Bremer" <DAVEB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 08:37:12 +1200
My first thought to this is "d'oh" - but if you're not already familiar with open-source then it's a fair enough question.

ETH-Dev people (I'm not on the list) - Can I suggest that a url is placed in the GUI's HELP->about dialog  that points to the GPL http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt

Uwe - you should take a look at that link for details - but my understanding (and I am not a lawyer) is that this license is designed to allow free use of the application yet protecting the authors from other people claiming it as their own (and also encourages adaptation of the code as long as it's free for others). It's a "pay it forward" or "stone soup" kind of arrangement

Cheers
Dave

>>> uwe.sprafke@xxxxxxxxxxx 20/05/04 04:04:34 >>>
Dear Sirs,

is ethereal only for private use or can I use ethereal also in commercial
business cases?

What is the price for a license for commercial use?

Thanks for an answer!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Best regards

Uwe Sprafke
Siemens AG
PTD EM PL
Power Transmission and Distribution,
Energy Management & Information Systems
Procurement and Logistics
Humboldtstr. 59
D-90459 Nuremberg

Tel.        +49-911-433-8451
FAX       +49-911-433-8435
Mobile    +49-170-9240106
E-Mail:   Uwe.Sprafke@xxxxxxxxxxx

> Ist Ihr Unternehmen bereits auf unserem Siemens Einkaufsmarktplatz
> "click2procure" vertreten? Sie können sich unter
> http://www.siemens.de/click2procure registrieren!

- - - - - - - - DISCLAIMER - - - - - - - -
Unless indicated otherwise, the information contained in this message is
privileged and confidential, and is intended only for the use of the
addressee(s) named above and others who have been specifically authorized to
receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and/or
attachments is strictly prohibited. The company accepts no liability for any
damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. Furthermore, the
company does not warrant a proper and complete transmission of this
information, nor does it accept liability for any delays. If you have
received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete the
message. Thank you.