Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Capture interfaces (loopback?)

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 03:48:49 -0700
On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 12:22:44PM +0200, Sttf wrote:
> Hello, two little issues, the first is that i dont know how to capture
> loopback traffic, there is not any interface with such name.

If you don't have an interface named "lo" or "lo0", there probably isn't
any way to capture loopback traffic:

	http://www.ethereal.com/media.html

Note, in particular, that the entry for "Loopback" on Windows says "No".

> Another question is that there appears 'Realtek' as one of the
> avaliable interfaces, when it's a SMC.

I suspect you're on Windows, in which case there *is* no way to capture
loopback traffic - and, in which case, the names given for the
interfaces are supplied by the drivers for the interface, not by
Ethereal (which gets them from WinPcap) or WinPcap (which gets them from
Windows, which gets them from the driver's installation process or the
driver's code).