Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] How to use private MIB file in ethereal?

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 06:37:28 +0200
Title: Message
Liu Chunfang wrote:
<I'm trying to translate the numeric OID of private MIB to named OID. What I did is:

I have only used private MIBs together with Ethereal on Windows, so my descriptions below
may not be relevant if you are using Ethereal on another OS.

<(1) Add my private MIB file to directory: /snmp/mibs

You should normally put the files in the /snmp/mibs sub directory in the directory where Ethereal is installed.
Ethereal installs a number of MIBs in that directory. You just put your MIB there.
I guess that that is what you have done.

However if you are using another program that uses NET-SNMP or ucdsnmp then the MIBDIRS
environment varibale may be se. Then you may need to put the MIBs in the directory pointed out by the
MIBDIRS environment variable.

<(2) Add private MIB file name to Edit -> Preferences -> SNMP
<

Yes you have to change the "MIB modules to load" preference settings

Please note that the MIBs shouldn't be separated with colons.
Use semi-colons instead. Or change to ALL as I did

IP-MIB;IF-MIB;TCP-MIB;UDP-MIB;SNMPv2-MIB;RFC1213-MIB;UCD-SNMP-MIB;MARTIN-MIB

or

ALL

We should probably change that in the code in the future, but I haven't had time to look into if this
is the right thing to do for both NET-SNMP and ucdsnmp - and for Ethereal on different OSes.

<But the decoder result did not change after added these.
<
<Can someone tell me how to use private MIB file to translate the OID in ethereal

It should just be to add the MIB in th correct directory and change the "MIB modules to load" preference setting as
described above.