Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] help

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 12:48:20 -0700
On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 08:42:23PM +0100, Alistair.McGlinchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> (It puzzles me why this page is not bundled with the Windows binaries

Because there is not necessarily a single item to which "this page"
refers - is it the WinDump 2.2 page, the 2.3 page, or the 3.0 alpha page
(or the 3.0 page when 3.0 comes out)?

The set of capture filters supported by libpcap changes over time, as
new capabilities are added; bundling some *particular* version with
Ethereal runs the risk of either

	1) documenting stuff that some users won't be able to use
	   because they have too old a version of WinPcap

or

	2) not documenting stuff that some users *will* be able to use
	   because they have a newer version of WinPcap.

> (or at least HREFed in t?ethereal.html)

It is referred to by the man page; I don't know if there's any way to
force a link in the "SEE ALSO" section to go to a particular URL.  (Note
that

	http://windump.polito.it/docs/manual.htm

would document the stuff that particular version does, as per the
above.)