Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] ver 0.9.7

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 09:53:27 -0700
On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 09:55:04AM -0400, Messner, Daniel Joseph (Dan) wrote:
> Ethereal is unable to discover

"Discover" in what sense?  Do you mean that it doesn't show up in the
drop-down list in the combo box in the "Capture Options" dialog, or that
if you select it it fails to capture on it?

> the onboard ethernet controller on a server I
> am working with. I dont have any problems with PCI.

(The onboard controller is probably a PCI controller as well; it's just
not in a PCI expansion slot.)

> Is onboard ethernet not supported?

Ethereal doesn't discover network interfaces, the OS does, on UNIX, and
the OS and WinPcap driver does, on Windows; Ethereal just reports what
interfaces it's told exists and can open for capturing.

UNIX, and the WinPcap driver, dsn't know the difference between onboard
and non-onboard interfaces there, or don't draw a distinction between
them there if they do; there's some other reason why the interface isn't
working.

If this is a UNIX system, try doing "ifconfig -a" (if your system
supports it) and see if the interface shows up; if so, try explicitly
telling Ethereal to capture on that interface.

If this a Windows system, download and install WinDump if you don't
already have it installed, and try doing "winpcap -D" from the command
line and see if the interface shows up.