Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] incorrect tcp checksums

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 11:07:31 -0700
On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 07:38:15PM +0200, Martin Regner wrote:
> I have similar behaviour in the snoop captures I've made on Solaris
> (non-gigabit Ethernet cards).

So it appears that at least some non-gigabit Ethernet cards on Suns (or
PC's, if that's Solaris x86) do checksum offloading and that Solaris
uses that feature on those cards; perhaps that explains the bad checksum
on the presumably valid packet in the server-side capture.

The bad checksums in the client-side capture for packets sent to the
client appear to be bad checksums, not artifacts of offloading, given
the retransmissions.