Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] incorrect tcp checksums

From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 19:21:24 +0200
Dear all,

I'm not using W2000 but I would like to bring the following to
your attention.

I'm using Mac OS X and when sniffing ALL TCP checksum of
outgoing packets are wrong. It is because this calculation
is done by the NIC. If I disable this feature, I see also
the outgoing packets with correct checksums. Maybe Windows
does a similiar optimization.

The only way to decide what is really on the wire is to use
a third machine and compare the data to the one from the
sender and the receiver.

Best regards
Michael