Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] silence of the LANs

From: "Brent Arias" <panoply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 23:46:40 -0700
I just installed the Ethereal binary on my Win 98es machine.  It comes up
just fine but then displays zilch for network traffic anywhere including the
machine it is installed on.  I can open my web browser on the same machine
to see outgoing http requests, but I see zilch.  I can send ICMP ping stuff
to the machine which Ethereal is installed on, but Ethereal still displays
absolutely no traffic information.

Yes, I do have all protocals selected.  I have never installed any software
like this before on this machine.  I did not install anything but the
ethereal binary setup exe.  I did not install WinPcap - but from what I
understand, I only need that if I am capturing to a file.  I understand that
if I merely want to watch traffic as it zings by, then I don't need to
install WinpCap.  The only NIC adapters I have on the machine are a
"dial-up" (modem) and a 10/100 Ethernet LAN card.  I am not using the modem
at all, all my traffic is through the LAN.

So there you have it!  Does anyone know what might be wrong?

Brent Arias