Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal version .19 and .20

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 14:51:16 -0700 (PDT)
> Does ethereal work under XP?

Yes, but you won't be able to capture packets unless you've installed
WinPcap 2.3 beta:

	http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q3.13

"Q 3.13: Does Ethereal work on Windows XP?

A: Yes, but it cannot capture packets, as the current version of WinPcap
doesn't work on Windows XP.  It can read existing capture files,
however.  The beta of version 2.3 of WinPcap does support Windows XP; it
is a beta, so there is a greater risk of bugs if you use it, and you
should report problems to winpcap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx so that they
can attempt to fix them before the final release of 2.3."

and

	http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/winpcap/misc/faq.htm

"Q-12: On which OS can I run WinPcap?

A: WinPcap can run on all the main Win32 operating systems: Windows
95,98,ME, NT4 and 2000.  Windows XP is supported from version 2.3 beta.
A version for Windows CE is currently under development."

> I have it installed but does not see my LAN driver

You probably have WinPcap 2.2, not 2.3 beta, installed.  (It wouldn't
even let you *try* to capture if you didn't have WinPcap installed at
all, so you couldn't even tell whether it could see your LAN driver.)

> or my Modem driver....

Even WinPcap 2.3 may not help you with your modem driver:

	http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q3.8

"Q 3.8: I'm running Ethereal on Windows; why doesn't my my (Token Ring,
PPP) network interface show up in the list of interfaces in the
"Interface" item in the "Capture Preferences" dialog box popped up by
the "Capture->Start" menu item?

A: ...

WinPcap doesn't support PPP WAN interfaces on Windows NT/2000, so
Ethereal cannot capture packets on those devices when running on Windows
NT/2000.  Regular dial-up lines, ISDN lines, and various other lines
such as T1/E1 lines are all PPP interfaces.  This may cause the
interface not to show up on the list of interfaces in the "Capture
Preferences" dialog."

and

	http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/winpcap/misc/faq.htm

"Q-4: Can I use WinPcap on a PPP connection?

A: We have tested WinPcap on PPP connections under Windows 95, Windows
98 and Windows ME.  In Windows 95, due to a bug in NDIS, WinPcap
sometimes resets the PPP connection.  In Windows 98/ME this bug appears
to be corrected, and WinPcap seems to work properly.  Under Windows NT
and Windows 2000 there are problems with the binding process, that
prevents a protocol driver from working properly on the WAN adapter."

"Windows XP" is really Windows NT 5.1, just as "Windows 2000" is really
Windows NT 5.0; the problems that keep PPP and other WAN connections
from working with WinPcap on NT 4.0 and 5.0 *might* not apply to 5.1,
but I suspect they will.