Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Slow packet capture from file

From: Chris Robertson <Chris.Robertson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:48:35 -0700
Greetings all, I have a (hopefully) quick question.  How can I increase the
speed of capturing packets from a file?  The file was generated by
tcpdump/snoop.  Ethereal seems to be reading about 5 packets/sec and with a
75 meg file this is taking a while... The wierd thing is that the system
(P-III 450, 512MB, 9GB SCSI, Redhat 6.2) shows 90+% idle most of the time
with very little hard drive activity.  I've tried renice-ing the process to
-10 which hasn't seemed to make any difference, likewise turning off name
resolution (all 3 types) didn't speed things up noticably.  Thoughts?

TIA,
Chris