Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Install issues with WinNT4 and Win2K

From: John LeMay <jlemay@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:56:56 -0400
All,

I just managed to get Ethereal 0.8.19 running here with Windows NT 4.0 after
a few reboots and the like. After the first round of installs of WinPCap and
Ethereal (either 0.8.17 or 0.8.19) I would receive a "Divide by Zero" error.
I tried uninstalling everything and rebooting, installing everything and
rebooting again, and I still had the "Divide by Zero" error. I believe what
finally fixed the problem was installing an appropriate video driver for the
Riva TNT or something of the sort installed in the Dell GX200 I am using.
I've installed Ethereal on machines like this before, but never had this
problem. The video driver is the only thing I can put my finger on that may
have effected this.

As for installing on Win2K, on the same machine, with a better-than-VGA
video driver, Ethereal - either 0.8.17 or 0.8.19, with or without WinPCap,
would not start. No errors, just a hourglass for a second or so then
nothing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for troubleshooting the Win2K
problem or verify that the VGA drivers will cause a Divide by Zero error? I
saw one other Divide by Zero error mentioned on the list back in May, but I
didn't see any responses.

thanks!