Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] Protocol Hierarchy

From: "Visser, Martin (SNO)" <Martin.Visser@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 08:53:01 +0800
As Guy, said (and I said earlier) TCP includes all packets that are TCP.
There will syn, syn-ack and ack packets not classifed as either FTP or
FTP-Data. If you want to know ALL the traffic between hosts, you probably
want to specify a capture or display filter with "ip.addr == <host>".

As stated earlier Ethereal allows you to rapidly apply display filters and
narrow down the field of interest. (Protocol hier stats only show info for
packets passing the display filters

Martin Visser
Network Consultant - Compaq Global Services

Compaq Computer Australia
410 Concord Road
Rhodes, Sydney NSW 2138
Australia