Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Absolute Newbie: Capture incredibly slow

From: Bart <CaptainMcFly@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 21:49:08 +0200
Good day out there!
I'd like to observe what all kind of software is sending to different
servers.
Especially what they're "talking" with each other incl. Headers,
Passwords, etc...
So I guess, "Follow TCP-Stream" is the thing I need.

However, I have a problem about getting Ethereal oder WinDump running:

I installed all drivers (WinPCap, Paket2k) and my capture is incredibly
slow.
All I get are maybe two or three packets in five seconds or so.
I tried to switch off name resolution ("Capture/Start/Enable Network
Name Res. Off"), but it didn't help.
I'm running Ethereal and Windump on Windows 2000 on an PPPoE-Connection
(German Telekom ADSL-PPP, "Engel"-PPPoE-Drivers).
It is even so slow, that my firewall (ZoneAlarm - I tried to to capture
with firewall switched off as well with the same result) doesn't show
any activity at all.
When I try to load a webpage with IE5.5 with capturing enabled, it's
Please, does anyone have an idea what to do?
With WinDump, I get the same error. However, I have installed two
different Packt Capture Drivers, WinPCap and the Paket2K Driver for
WinDump.
I tried to get Ethereal running many different times. Never succeeded...

Please help,
Thanks!
B. Skowronek