Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Using Ethereal over a ppp dial up connection

From: "Andrew Stirling" <stirling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 10:00:12 +1200
Hi,

I am trying to test/debug an application that accesses a server over the Internet using a 56K dialup modem connection and ppp protocol. I have Ethereal for Windows installed on a Win98 machine ( and WinPcap setup).

Ethereal will run starting a capture using a PPPMAC interface, but no data is captured. ( The capture dialog box appears with all totals at zero and doesn't change even when data is being downloaded or uploaded to the internet across the ppp connection).

 Can I use Ethereal to capture and analize packets sent and recieved across this ppp link?
 Do I need another sniffer set up? (I've also tried using WinDump, but that doesn't work either)

If it is possible could you please tell me how to do it?

Thanks
-Andrew Stirling