Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Help providing IBM iSeries wiretap

From: Martin Warnes <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 20:21:37 +0000
Guy Harris wrote the following on 10/31/05 19:32:

Guy Harris wrote:

Martin Warnes wrote:

btw. I don't know if I mentioned this before but Ethereal is able to handle SYSTCPDA formatted capture files from the IBM zSeries (OS/390) without problems, might be worth mentioning this on the website.

The page at

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/network/commserver/downloads/systcpda.txt

says:

7) Add SNIFFER(TCPDUMP) to write packet trace records in TCPDUMP format.

In addition, their default format appears to be Sniffer format (at least from what the help file says; I'm somewhat surprised that the help file was a Windows-format text file, i.e. ASCII with CR/LF at the ends of lines, rather than some variable-length record thing in EBCDIC, as I assume it's a help file for z/OS); Ethereal should also be able to read those (if not, that's a bug, and should get fixed if possible).

Thanks Guy,

That's given me a starting point and a better understanding of what is required. I'll also look at handling other types such as EBCDIC and possibly raw packet captures as well.

The ASCII option on the SEND or FTP command used to upload the HELP file should convert the CR/LF to a X'25' EBCDIC line end, it effectively then becomes a plain text Fixed 80 byte file which can be displayed in the TSO Help system. If the file is uploaded from a Unix system it might be a problem as only the LF will be converted leaving a surplus CR lying around, but TSO just ends up displaying that as a "block" non display character I think so it should just look odd.

I'll speak to one of our AS/400 product developers and see if he can have a word with IBM about adopting libpcap format, you never know.

Thanks .. Martin

Scanned by ClamAV antivirus system - http://www.clamav.net
Virus signatures last updated: Mon Oct 31 19:10:33 2005