Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Ethereal and accessibility?

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:06:09 -0700
Mike Duigou wrote:

Some ATK support should come "automagically" by just switching to GTK 2.X APIs. For things like menus and text edit controls the ATK support is built right in for the standard controls. The developer doesn't need to do anything special for basic support.

Perhaps, but the person who started this thread said

However, the problem is that none of the file menus, buttons, or other
controls in Ethereal read correctly. It's not like the technology totally
doesn't see them, because I can do such things as use a cursor mode to see
certain text in windows like "filter" and detect controls like combo boxes,
check boxes, and the like. However, interaction with such controls is close
to 0, I'm afraid to report.

so perhaps that "automagic" stuff isn't working - or perhaps they were using the GTK+ 1.2[.x] version, or perhaps they were running on Windows and the ATK stuff doesn't connect to the Windows assistive technologies mechanism (but they mentioned Gnopernicus and GNOME so that might not be the answer).