Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] decimals not accepted in substrings -can youconfirm a bug?

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:00:53 +0200

Ethereal development <ethereal-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 24.10.05 10:53:42:

> I think the real bug in the manual is that Table 6.3 is missing a
> fundamental type - the byte string. (I think that an Ethernet address
> which is there is possibly a special case of a byte string. Certainly
> colons, ":", in ethernet addresses can be exchanged with period, ".",
> and dash, "-")

I don't do this a lot, so the Guide wasn't updated in this regard when I've done a major update months(years?) ago.

You seem to have much more knowledge than me about this. Table 6.3 seems to be missing this topic and also some examples of other types.

Could you write some text about this, so I can add it to the Guide? Or point me to the manpage about the exact things missing.

When I would try to do this, this would probably end up in a lot of errors.