Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Suggested expansion of Expert Statistics

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 16:01:06 +0200
> BTW: the stats tree code seems to lack of important features like "Save"
> or "Copy" (I'd prefer Copy) and alike ...

We could use the text version of the stats tree for that, the code is
already there.

> Even this code still uses the "pre-filter" dialog, which is just a
> usability nightmare IMHO and nothing else. If a filtering option is
> presented to the user (which IMO is a good idea), it should be included
> into the display dialog (maybe through an "Advanced" button or such),
> but not forcing the user to "click through it". Most of the time the
> "simple" user won't use filtering for this (like me) and the newbie
> wants to see what this stat is all about. Having the filter dialog open
> after closing the stats dialog doesn't make things even better ...

This has to be implemented.

Another thing is that with large captures retaping takes time.
Having the stats tree generated as soon as its open would mean having
to retap the stats tree twice to get it filtered. Not having it
generated as it's open would mean having the user to click to generate
it (which is preety much what's done now).

> I've doubts if that's possible, but having most of the stats share the
> same code is, of course, a *really* good idea :-)

There are some things the stats tree needs to be able to implement
almost every stat.
- Multiple user columns
- Variuos types of keys (float, IP, ...)
- multiple column keys would help as well.

I will get to implement these, but not soon.

Luis

-- Marshall McLuhan