Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] (Re-)start of MIL-STD-1553B support

From: "Backing Olof" <olof.backing@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:14:09 +0200
Title: (Re-)start of MIL-STD-1553B support

Hi!
Two years ago mr. Hards did announce a start of a MIL-STD-1553B support for the Etheral analyzer. Eventually it didn't turn out to anything, but I decided to change that fact.

There is a interest in the Swedish Gripen fighter programme to have a Linux based (remote operation etc etc) MIL-STD-1553B analyzer. The initial approach would be:

* libpcap (or some other with a similar API that ethereal likes - Brads advice!) support for MIL-STD-1553B data packets. Currently we use DDC branded PCI/PMC.

This leads us to a working packet sniffer that reads plain words on the bus. But working equals not useable in this case, since the overlaying protocol is implementation dependant.Therefore I plan to re-use a technique from a related tool:

* XML (or best suitable) to describe the bus traffic definition that the MIL-STD-1553B dissector reads (either as a default setting or user changeable) in order to translate and show the traffic in a readable order.

The technique with a loadable definition file is succesfully being used since several years now in other related tools, albeit not in XML-format. If this project succeeds well there might be a second one involving a packet generator based on another, yet-to-be-decided, open source product.

Regards, Olof