Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Update to expert data

From: ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:57:23 +1000
ACK

For those of us that normally work with 500MB+ capture files, every single rescan/refilter of a capture is very painful.
I currently have issues with reassembled packet now frequently require a full rescan of the file  which i have examples of but not time to track down why it happens.

On 10/21/05, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx> wrote:
Gilbert Ramirez wrote:

>applied, but with a comment added and the old cf_retap totally removed
>instead of commented out.
>
>SVN 16279
>
>--gilbert
>

>On 10/20/05, Greg Morris < gmorris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>Expert data must perform a re-dissection to trigger the NCP dissector.

If the NCP dissector doesn't work with the expert info and some other
dissectors do, it might be a problem with the dissector and *not* with
the expert mechanism ...

>>Change the call cf_retap_packets() to cf_redissect_packets().

Hmmm, the expert.c uses the tapping mechanism to "send" the data.

expert_dlg uses this tap to get the data

There must be a real misconception somewhere. Why it is not enough to
call cf_retap_packets(), maybe using code parts under if(tree)?.

I really would like to get an explanation to this, all of the dissectors
where I've added expert info was working pretty well the way it was
implemented.