Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: New dissector: STANAG 5066

From: "Menno Andriesse" <menno.andriesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:58:26 +0200 (CEST)
Hi,

> 1, Do you have any sample captures of this protocol we can use for
> fuzz testing and also put on the sample captures page (i assume few
> people have access to an exotic protocol like this )?

Yes, I have some sample captures: should I upload them to the wiki? (It
won't happen until I am back from travel next week.)

> 2, Do you plan to add any heuristics to this protocol to verify that
> it is indeed your protocol?
> Probably best to add that in the dissect_..._tcp() function before
> spawning it off to tcp_dissect_pdus().
> This would help when there is a dissector port conflict, i.e. when
> there is traffic between your well known port and the other port is
> another well known port such as smtp or similar.
> This allows ethereal to try both your port and the other dissector and
> tell which protocol it really is.

OK, I'll look into the Heuristics. Should be simple: if the PDU does not
start with '0x90 0xEB 0x00' it is not an STANAG 5066 PDU.

Cheers,
Menno.

> On 10/14/05, M.P. Andriesse <menno.andriesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Oops...
>>
>> Actually attaching the file does work better...
>>
>> --
>> Menno Andriesse

Menno Andriesse

Nato C3 Agency