Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Updates and a new feature

From: "Greg Morris" <gmorris@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:51:59 +0200
List,

I have a number of new additions to Ethereal that I want to submit. But I know that the list was wanting only bug fixes this week prior to the next release. Should I still submit my new additions or wait for another week or so?

Updates:
NCP - added 64bit file size attributes to a number of NCP's
NCP - a few minor bug fixes
NCP 89,xx - These are the new enhanced NCP's for UTF8 support similar to NCP 87,xx NCP's

New Dissector:
Extension of the NCP dissector to include Novell Secret Store Services "SSS". Similar interface as the NMAS dissector. (packet-ncp-sss.c and packet-ncp-sss.h)

Updated Features:
Extend the conversations table to include NCP - Based on NCP task ID in NCP header
Extend the SRT to include NCP data. Breaks NCP SRT into the following categories.
    a. NCP group
    b. NCP functions
    c. NDS verb
    d. NMAS verb
    e. SSS verb

New Feature:
Error Equivalency Tables:
Similar to SRT functionality, but to enable, each dissector needs to add an additional tap. (<protocol>-err) IE tcp-err. This feature parses the packet trace and via the tap interface counts the number of errors reported and provides a table of the composite data.

/** Procedure data */
typedef struct _error_procedure_t {
 char    *entries[4];       /**< column entries */
 guint16     num;            /**< error number */
    char    *desc;             /**< error description */
    char    *prot;             /**< protocol abrev to search internet*/
    guint16     count;          /**< error count */
} error_procedure_t;
I have currently done the error table tap and modifications to both the NCP and TCP dissectors. One neat feature is the ability to highlight one of the errors listed in the error table, right click the mouse button, and then search the internet for the error string. (I currently default to Google for the internet search) I have attached a few screen shots of this new feature.

Please advise if I should hold off on making the submissions...

Greg

Greg Morris
Novell Technical Services - EMEA Services Center
Worldwide Support Services (WSS) - Client
Tel: +31-10-286-4222
Fax: +31-10-286-4010
Mob: +31-65-185-1068

Novell® BrainShare® Barcelona 2005