Ethereal-dev: Re: SV: [Fwd: [Ethereal-dev] 3G Signaling patch]

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 10:34:21 -0700
Rene Pilz wrote:

I would propose this algorithm:
a) if aal5 len < 14 bytes then dissect as sscop
b) if aal5 len >= 14 bytes and the fist byte is 0x81 or 0x83 then dissect as sscop

As I have seen until now, there should be no MAC address collision with this solution.

The lowermost bit of the first octet of a MAC address is the individual/group bit, so that'd only collide with a multicast address beginning with 0x81/0x83; I think most of the standard ones, at least, seem to start with 0x01.

Is it fine for you?
Should I also consider Q.2931 as you proposed?

The heuristics you mention should be sufficient.