Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: [Ethereal-cvs] rev 16103: /trunk/: capture_loop.c tethere

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 01:45:06 -0700
Ulf Lamping wrote:

Hmmm, I don't know if it's a good idea to "hardcode" this message into Ethereal.

The 64 bit support is not there now, but it might be added in a WinPcap 3.2 beta after the next Ethereal release is out.

That probably won't happen in the short term (i.e., it probably won't happen until the next release after this one comes out). In the medium term, it might be useful to have it

1) check whether you're running on 64-bit Windows, and not display the message if you're not

and

2) check the version of WinPcap, and only display it for 3.1 and earlier versions.

That's not ideal, but, without a "pcap_supports_win64()" routine, we can't do the ideal, and issuing the message only for existing releases might be closer to the ideal.