Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] new release? version 1.0/wishlist

From: Jason House <jhouse@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:03:03 -0400
Well, not necessarilly 1.0, but I still figured I'd give my personal wish list of features.

The *BIGGEST* item on my wishlist is:
  * To allow ethereal to analyze multiple capture files at once!
      Ever try to track down odd TCP behavior in a high latency,
      high loss network?  It's a painful process of cross-checking
      between files...
      * Probably some kind of packet roll-up into a tree for the
        same packet seen in different files.
      * The ability to have color filters based on in which files
        which packets were seen.
      * Have some general concept of a "complete" (vrs. "incomplete")
        transmission of a packet and allow plotting of completion
        rates.
      * etc...

Other items that I'd like to see are:

  * A generalization of many TCP-only features
      * Allow any acking or request/reply protocol to somehow
        share the information in a generic form for analysis.
        RTT taps really shouldn't have to be protocol specific.
      * Allow any sequence number based protocol to benefit from
        sequence number analysis (and graphs)

  * The ability for all tethereal taps to be available in ethereal
    automatically.  This possibly could be achieved through
    defining some kind of table that can be reinterpreted as either
    a GUI window or an aligned text output to stdout (or a file)

  * The ability for taps to register their own protocols and fields.
    (I think I saw a recent patch to allow delayed registration...)
    And track their own conversation based data.