Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: Ethereal Gripe

From: Kevin <kem2@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:02:03 -0400

On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 11:25 PM, Andrew Feren wrote:

I think the same is true of protocols. Getting Ethereal to automatically generate code to at least label fields and interpret types correctly would be way better than the alternative of looking at the raw hex dump. Doing
this without recompiling would be great, but not necessary.

This would be a great start and may be all that is needed. This would allow new or custom protocols to be broken out and defined.

In theory, I should be able to build a decode description for my use and then pass it to others for their use.

Kevin