Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: Concurrent DNS name resolution

From: "Lionel Bartlett" <lbartlett@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:55:07 +0200
Hi,

Perhaps there is a problem when using an older versions then
upgrading?

Apparently 0.9.13 supported dns lookups, but I definately don't recall
having this dns "problem".

I didn't uninstall 0.9.13a before installing 0.9.14. In the past on
0.9.14 I tested setting all three Preferences options off, it didn't
work for me. Perhaps something goes wrong when the old default
preferences file is present.

I'd have to so a lot more testing to get to the root cause of this.

Bottom line is that since setting name_resolve: false things started
working. Only disabling Name Resolution in the gui on it's own works
now, which it never used to.

Thanks,
Lionel

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Greg Morris wrote:

> You can change the option name_resolve: m to read as name_resolve:
> FALSE to disable the adns name resolution. We should probably have
these
> settings configurable from the Ethereal preferences GUI but these
are
> yet to be implemented. I am not certain who did the work so they may
> already be working on implementing this functionality. I am hoping
that
> they will reply to this email.

Concurrent resolution is my fault.  The GUI preferences are implemented
in
0.9.14, in Edit->Preferences->Name Resolution.