Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] new release?

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 16:10:27 -0500 (CDT)
The first part (setuid capture + normal display) was what I had in mind,
but the second part (setuid capture + nonpriv display + normal file)
sounds even better.  Keep in mind that OSes such as Free/Net/OpenBSD
and Solaris can restrict capture access at the filesystem level, so root
privileges may not be needed in those environments.  It may not even be
needed on Linux if and when POSIX capabilities ever see the light of day.

Adding an IPC layer between capture and display implies that we'd have
some sort of (adjustable) buffer for transferring frame data.  This is
a feature most other protocol analyzers have that we don't.

Also, the Windows universe doesn't have setuid().  To add equivalent
functionality we could create a capture service.  It looks like the
rpcapd daemon that ships with the latest version of WinPcap may be
something we can use.